There are more than a hundred species of gerbils living in the wild, all with varying life spans.
However, in captivity, pet gerbils normally live for 3-5 years.
The life span of any pet, gerbils included, depends a lot on genetic factors. But it also depends a whole lot on things like quality of food, diseases, stressful environment, exercise, and so on.
So what can you do to make your gerbil friend live longer?
Here are a few tips:
- Provide your gerbil with organic high-quality food and snacks.
- Constant access to fresh water is a must.
- Exercising daily is important. It’s healthy for the body, and great for mental stimulation as well.
- Make sure the cage is safe, and place it in a quiet room. Stress and lack of sleep is unhealthy.
- Cleanliness is vital for a gerbil to avoid getting sick. Clean the cage thoroughly and regularly.
- If you suspect your gerbil to be sick, contact a veterinarian.
Good luck! 🙂