A common question we get is if hamsters can eat apples.
The answer is YES.
And not only can they eat it, most hamsters actually love apples. They are tasty, and they contain vitamins, sugar, water, and fibre. Apples are great treats and a good supplement to hamster food.
However, there are a few things you need to think about:
- Make sure to peel the skin off, and to remove the seeds.
- Don’t give the whole fruit. Serve it in small pieces.
- Rinse the fruit. You don’t want your hammy to consume pesticides, do you?
- The fruit should be room tempered. Eating a cold apple could cause stomach problems.
- Apples are slightly acidic, so we recommend that you serve no more than one apple a day (don’t give everything at once!). Giving more may result in diarrhea.
I’d like to end with a word of caution. Dwarf hamsters are highly susceptible to diabetes, and since apples contain sugar you need to be careful. Don’t give more than a small slice a day.
The same recommendation applies to baby hamsters of all breeds.